- Please print and complete these three forms:
- Other documents to review and fill out as needed:
- If you are not able to print, follow the packet pick-up instructions sent with your appointment confirmation.
2. THE DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT, BEFORE YOU COME
- Gathered all your documents from the Document Checklist
- Please read the health questionnaire before your appointment.
- Note: If you are sick, please call to reschedule. If you do not call and miss your appointment for any reason, you might not be able to have one rescheduled.
3. FIRST APPOINTMENT TO DROP-OFF or SCAN YOUR DOCUMENTS
- Bring a mask
- Bring your own pen
- If you arrive more than 5 minutes before your appointment, please wait to come in until just before your appointment time.
- When you arrive and are greeted, your current health questionnaire will be reviewed.
- Your documents will be reviewed and you will be interviewed.
- *Note: Your tax return should normally be ready one week and 15 minutes after your original appointment day and time (for those scheduled for “Scan and Return” at Southfield site).
4. REMOTE TAX PREPARATION (for those scheduled for “Scan and Return” at Southfield site)
- While your tax return is being prepared remotely, you may be called with questions by 2 different volunteers- a Preparer and a Reviewer. The caller ID may show up as “Tax Aide District 15”.
- The Reviewer will discuss your last filed return. Please have your last year’s tax return available.
5. SECOND APPOINTMENT: PICK-UP & AUTHORIZATION (for those scheduled for “Scan and Return” at Southfield site)
- Your tax return should normally be ready one week and 15 minutes after your original appointment day and time. You will be notified if there is an exception such as a public holiday when the normal schedule of return one week after your original appointment.
- Read this questionnaire (PDF) before your appointment.
- Bring a picture ID
- During your appointment time,
- The volunteer then will provide you with Form 8879, which you and your spouse (if applicable), will be required to sign, giving AARP permission to E-file your return.
- If your documents were dropped off, they will be returned at this time
- If your documents were scanned, they will be automatically deleted when the tax season is over.
- You will then be given the printed copy of your Tax Return in a special envelope and you are free to leave the site.
- Be sure to keep your Tax Return, Intake Booklet and tax Documents inside the provided envelope and store in a safe place for next year.
- Once your return has been filed, we will safely destroy any copies of your documents in order to protect your personal information.
Before your appointments, please read the following documents: